Just in time for…next year

As I mentioned in my last post, I finally got around to making a Christmas tree skirt. Technically it wasn’t finished in time for Christmas, but close enough to actually use.

Missing the binding

No binding yet…

After we finally took the tree down, I actually finished the skirt, so now it’s packed up and ready to use next year. All I had left to do was add the binding, so it was an easy finish. I won’t say “quick” since binding a full circle is somewhat time consuming, but it was easy.

IMG_3391

Now let me back up a little bit to the construction of the tree skirt. I originally thought I’d have to re-remember geometry to figure out the pattern pieces. Lucky for me, someone already designed a specialty ruler for that. I borrowed this ruler from my Mom (she has all the fun sewing tools), and used it to cut all the wedges.

IMG_3368

It’s a 9 degree wedge that works out to about a 50 inch circle with forty wedges. The ruler leaves a 6 inch (I think) circle opening in the center, with the idea that for a regular quilt you put a small circular block right there. I actually enlarged the center circle a little bit to be more like 10 inches (I didn’t actually measure) so there would be plenty of room for the tree stand.

IMG_3393

Also, I left an opening between two of the wedges so I could put it around the tree stand after the tree was in place. Because what are the odds that I would remember to put it over the stand before adding the tree if I didn’t leave an opening.

IMG_3397

I wanted the tree skirt to have a scrappy look, so I raided my collection of Christmas quilt fabric for a bunch of different prints I liked together. There are forty wedges in the circle, and I found nine different pieces of fabric I like, so the four quadrants of the circle are the same. One print is used twice per quadrant. I like the scrappy look, but couldn’t bring myself to do the order randomly, so the order of the prints is the same in each repeat.

IMG_3394

The back is a solid piece of a pretty red plaid with just a bit of sparkle. It’s the only piece I had enough of for the backing, which was the main factor in using it.

Overall, I’m pretty delighted with how the whole thing came out. It feels great to have finally made something that’s been on my to-do list for so long. And that I was able to make the entire thing out of stash fabric! Done and done!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s